Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 7 of 730 (Groceries)

Last night we went grocery shopping for the first time since I decided to start this blog and this mission. I remembered to not shop hungry and have a list with me. However my list only had a few items on it. I wasn't sure what else to write. If we wouldn't be snacking on things like chips, cookies or ice cream, what would we be snacking on instead? I needed to look around and see all the options we always over look.

The goal was to buy more items around the perimeter of the store and less from the aisles. This makes sense as all the processed foods are kept in the aisles and the fresh stuff encircles the store.

A few changes I had planned were whole grain bread instead of white (yes I still haven't let go of my white bread all these years) and milk in my coffee instead of cream. Hubby agreed to join me in my bread selection, but isn't ready to give up his coffee cream. We didn't buy any chips, cookies, or ice cream...for the kids or us. We actually didn't buy many of the snacks the kids usually get. It's not that I am trying to put them on a diet along with me, it's that my will power is not quite there yet and I need to remove some temptation, as selfish as that may be.

We bought a lot of fruits and veggies, boneless skinless chicken breasts and extra lean ground beef. None of which are new to our list. We didn't eat all bad ya know. In fact I realized just how many good choices we already make in our day to day lives. The real issue is snacking choices, portion sizes and a few small changes to everyday foods.

I am on a mission to try one new recipe each week to keep from getting bored. This week we are trying this lemon basil chicken recipe that I stumbled upon. It sounds and looks delicious.

If you have any ideas of things I should add to my list for next week please leave me a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog, keep it up, you will get there!

    Here are some grocery shopping tips in a vid I did: http://joyoushealth.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/whats-in-my-grocery-bag-this-week-10-real-foods/

    You are right to grocery shop on an full tummy. Also, avoid the center aisles in the grocery store, this is where the processed/packaged junk is! Eat real food and you will reach your goals that much sooner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meal plan every 2 weeks and it works out great. I plan lunches and dinner for 2 whole weeks! I eat a lot of salads, buy ground turkey breast, yougurt, 100 cal snacks, veggies, Natures Own Bread, you want bread with out enriched flour you want whole wheat flour, I do have a coffee in the am (only 1) with 1%milk and sweet n low, Kashi cereal with 1% milk as well.

    You can do it just keep it up! Small steps!

    ReplyDelete