Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 13 of 730 (Keeping A Journal)

I used to be a member of weight watchers. I started there sometime after my first son was born in 2003. I lost about 25lbs with them in about 6 months. Once my membership expired though I couldn't afford to continue going. I did well on my own until I got pregnant again in 2005. After that pregnancy I tried Jenny Craig and failed, so I went back to weight watchers. I didn't lose much at all this time around so I quit going there too. (those places are expensive)

The one thing i did learn from weight watchers though, is the importance of knowing what you are eating each day and each week. That is why food journals are such a big emphasis in their program. I have always been bad about journals, especially with having to also find the point values and add or subtract them etc. Since I am not counting points this time and am only trying to make better choices I have decided to start a food journal. My sister was kinda enough to share some journal logs she had. There are 3 sheets; one for food, one for cardio and one for other workout routines (lifting weights etc). I am not sure if I will track all of those yet but today I will start a food journal.

I am hoping that by keeping a journal again I will be more aware of what I am eating and when I am eating it. I think it will help make sure I am having 3 meals a day and balanced snacks. It also has a section to track water intake and I know that will be beneficial to me as well.

Do you journal your food intake? Do you find it helps you stay on track?

4 comments:

  1. I do journal. I use sparkpeople to keep track. Informative site AND its free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to journal my food - but now I can't stand it! It makes me focus TOO much on food - I thought about it every second of the day. I'm trying now to listen to my body's hunger signs, and make healthier food choices. It's working so far, but it's a much slower process for me than when I was tracking calories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do journal my intake, but it's a bit tougher to keep journaling.

    I feel off the tracking wagon, but lately have started to use it to find out how hungry I am. It's like a way to find out how hungry I am, what I eat, and then how satisfied I am aftewards.

    It helps me eat enough to be no longer hungry - but not so much that I'm stuffed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do keep an exercise and food journal. I love it and it's easy and I can do it anywhere, even on my Itouch http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

    ReplyDelete