Saturday, July 31, 2010

Day 18 of 730 (Swimming)

When I was a kid I practically lived in the water. My mom lived with my grandmother in an apartment and they had an outdoor pool. I would spend almost my whole summer in the pool from the minute it opened until the minute it closed. I had an awesome tan.

As I grew up I would swim every chance I could up until about 13 or 14 years old when I realized I didn't quite have a bathing suit body. All of a sudden I was avoiding the water as much as possible.

As an adult I can probably count on my hand how many times I've gone swimming. It's generally when I am on vacation and feel like I will not see anyone I know. Although funny enough, last year in Cuba I bumped into my best friend's sister at the resort. I recently braved the water park at Canada's Wonderland for the first time since it opened. I loved it. Granted I had shorts on over my bathing suit but I did it.

Today I am taking my kids swimming with my husband. My 4 year old son needs some exposure to the pool before he starts his swimming lessons in September. I am learning to not let my insecurities punish my kids and also to accept myself for who I am.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!! Bathing suits are the devil for some of us...it's such a great feeling when you can finally feel comfortable wearing one.

    ReplyDelete