Monday, August 2, 2010

Day 20 of 730 (Health vs Self Image)

I know I am supposed to look at myself in the mirror and tell myself that I need to lose weight and get in shape so that I can be in better health for myself and my children. I should want to do this so that I do not die at age 59 like my nana did due to the 101 conditions she had, some weight related and some smoking related. I should do it because I am genetically at risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, stroke and a bunch of other crap. I know this reason should surpass all other reasons and while I respect the importance of health and the need to be healthy, this reason is not at the forefront of my heart.

All I am hoping for is to fit in clothing from a normal store. To be able to zip up my jeans and not have to stuff myself into them and perhaps look great in them too. I want to want to have my picture taken. I want to feel like a normal person rather than a fat person.

I hate how vain I look putting more emphasis on appearance rather than my health but inside I have craved for this feeling for a long time. I finally feel on track to reaching my goal thanks to so many inspiring people I've found through twitter. I know the fact that my heart will be stronger and my weight will be lower and my body will be functioning more like it was designed to is by far the most important thing. But when I buy my first pair of skinny jeans, that is when I will know I have done what I set out to do.

5 comments:

  1. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to look good in your jeans, etc. Good health and longevity are your goals, looking good is a great side effect. Not a thing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's vain at all. I'm the same way. I know that I need to get in shape to ward off weight-related illnesses, but like you that reason takes a back seat to buying "normal" size clothes and looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say whatever motivates you to do it. Long term, you're doing it for your health - short term you're doing it to look great!! Absolutely nothing wrong with that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. It's not vain to want to look good, especially since you are 28 years young. Please do it now for yourself and don't wait until 49 (like me). Time moves so quickly. Don't waste your young life away. xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with the others. The "vain" factors to me are actually just as important (but in a different category) as the health reasons. Everyone wants to look nice, good in their clothes. Everyone wants to shop at normal shops. I don't know anyone who actually WANTS to purposely dress in clothes that don't look good on them!! Today your focus is clothes. When clothes are fitting and you are feeling stronger, healthier, you will focus more on the health bits.

    ReplyDelete